Wednesday 19 September 2018

Soggy Bottom - the Royalist Right


Here are some pictures of the other wing of our recent game at Colours. Again, these were taken by Ian Notter. All the photos will enlarge when clicked-upon.


Above, Colonel Skippon directs his command from a field outside Soggy Bottom. Skippon (close-up below) is a splendid mini painted, I believe, by David Imrie. 



His wing included four regiments of "Dutch"-style horse, including Sir Arthur Hesilrig and his famous London Lobsters, below.



The red-cornetted "Dutch" regiment, above, seem to be focussed on the mobile rations to their front. The flock of sheep absolutely stole the show, I hope that 1st Corps sell a load of them! Below, they are charged by the more-aggressive Royalist "Swedes" of Sir Horatio Cary’s Regiment of Horse. "Cuckolds we come, indeed!" I was delighted with the Sherpa grass I used on this wing- the scalloped edges of the bat bases sink into it and are rendered almost invisible.



Finally, here's a shot along the Royalist line - that's Sir Jacob Astley's Regiment in the middle ground and Henry Tillier's, beyond. The eponymous marsh of Soggy Bottom is on the right, defended by Major Undertaking's commanded shotte (below), a hard-fighting bunch of n'er-do-wells, if I ever saw one.


That's all for today! Photos of the centre are to follow in a few days time. If you missed the photos of the left wing, you can find them here.

In other news, I have just re-supplied the shop with lots of things that have run out. In particular, I include a new mat that I am calling the "The Ginormous One", which is designed for those playing "For King and Parliament" on a 12" grid in the grand manner.

10 comments:

  1. The mat and bases look brilliant, I do like to see ECW figures standing on something that looks like England (Three Kingdoms) not North Africa. You have also convinced me that my cavalry must be in 3 ranks from now on, again it just looks right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- I've bought a load more of the material, I hope to do whole battlefields in it. Roundway Down for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Simon,

    A cracking table I must say

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular, wonderful figures and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely Simon. How did you mark the teddy bear for purposes of your game grid? It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Curt, marked the grid on the back of the cloth, and stuck beige tufts on the front with superglue. It took around an hour to do the 6'x 5'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the mat and basing combo. Its taken things to a whole new level as far as the photo's are concerned. Totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too kind, Lee. Have you seen what David Imrie has done with his? Most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pictures although I'm not a 28mm fan. The quality of the photos is excellent.

    ReplyDelete