Sunday 20 March 2022

Sir William Waller

Sir William Waller was a leading Parliamentarian general during the English Civil War. He won numerous victories, at one point earning the nickname "William the Conqueror". He also suffered a few notable defeats, including that at Roundway Down. He was remarkable for his friendship with Sir Ralph Hopton, his old comrade and frequent Royalist opponent, which continued though the hostilities.

Sir William is a Bicorne miniature, as are his colleagues. I love the Bicorne historical commanders, I'll probably end up collecting the whole lot of them. I think Sir William was painted by Shaun McTague. I couldn't find a suitable cornet, so I painted my own (rather badly!). Sir William will, of course, be leading the Parliamentarians in my Roundway Down game at Partizan in May.

2 comments: